Monday, May 11, 2009

final installation

Our studio is always a mess with people running around like half crazed moneys, with a camel chewing on our backs. At the very end of the semester we had a chance to work as a class for one last time and restructure our lived in environment. So that those who come after us have a better healthier place to live and work. Were I spent many hours helping take down the cubical panels and separating the electrical strips out of these monsters and nameless other task that had to happen during the deconstruction process. My real opportunity was working on the wall of windows a feat that Jackie and I undertook whole heartily and it just about killed the both of us. I don't think we would have held it all together if it hadn't been for Yo's and Emily's encouragement and help.

This image was taken about seven hours into the second day we went for round about ten more hours after this. Tackling each problem as it arose and trust me it got kind of ugly at times cause things didn't seem to want to work that evening at all.

Jackie drilling into the frame that we had finally devised after many trials that night.

Yo and myself working on the final touches of the window wall a little tired and crazy. The idea is to create different shadows and shades of light and darkens. Plus it's just cool looking.

And TA-DA, the finished product a re-created vibrant studio atmosphere.

fourth round artifices project

The image above is another round of having my neighbor choosing which drawings should move on to the final stage. And below you will find the finalist, of this long painful process. They are devised out of my hopes of realization of importance of design in the world in which we live, as we all run about crazy like. A hope that every now again we can stop and observe the beauty that surrounds us in our environments either that be interiors or exteriors.

third artifices step

The first set of images you see are the ones that I selected from the pages and pages of abstraction drawings that I had created. These that you see are the best of the best. The images below are a group of images that I allowed a neighbor in my studio to chose for the final collection. These are the ones that caught their eye for whatever reason and have moved on to the next stage of the process.

artifices second step

The images above and below represent the process of abstracting these drawings of the artifices. These are just a couple from the group. We were to draw and draw and draw so that we were forced to dissect every possible idea, angle and thought behind the drawings and objects. They were quick drawings, taking less than a minute on each and then moving on to the next. It was the most challenging and draining project/composure that I have created to date.

artifact project

These two pages of images are the start of a sample of works that I created based on two artifacts that represent my college life. I had chosen my first year tray project and an Ultimate Frisbee that I designed for the UNCG women's ultimate team. These two items are chosen to show the importance of design in my life as well as the idea that I constantly have many plates up in the air at the same time.